Logo

7.5 Mercury 1984 Not getting fuel

JWake

Hi everyone,

I have a 1984 Mercury 7.5 hp and I had a problem with my needle valve sticking open so I cleaned and rebuilt my carb--new seals, new needle valve, it's spic and span. The motor starts great and runs well but as soon as the fuel in the bowl runs out it will die unless I re-prime. Here are some details on what I've done to try and resolve this:

- Repalced fuel line from tank to motor
- Checked fuel line to carb for blockages
- checked main jet (it's clear)
- Rebuilt fuel pump

I'm at my wit's end here. Any help from the experienced guys would be greatly appreciated! Suggestions on what the problem might be or what to try next would be great.

Thanks!

Well-----The fuel pump runs off crankcase PRESSURE pulses.-----There may be issues with that.------The gasket between the carburetor and block is on correctly ?----Not blocking pulse port for the pump ?

Thanks for the reply. I'm fairly certain that gasket is seated correctly but I can double check.

The small hose at the back of the carb that recycles fuel from the crank case is cracked, but I didn't think it would impact the performance of the fuel pump. Is that a possibility?

Well-----The fuel pump runs off crankcase PRESSURE pulses.-----There may be issues with that.------The gasket between the carburetor and block is on correctly ?----Not blocking pulse port for the pump ?

Yeah I'm an idiot. That gasket was on upside down and it runs fine now. You're the man racerone, many thanks!!

Back