Logo

7.5 JOHNSON needs choke to run

tsam

My old reliable 1983 JOHNSON 7.5 hp starts ok but won’t run at higher throttle without using choke. With half a choke it runs steady but will not respond to higher throttle- dies. Besides new plugs, gas filter clean, and carb bowl and jets cleans, any other suggestions?

Same advice as always.----Do a compression test and check for strong spark.----Now " strong " spark will jump a gap of 3/8" or better !----But having to use choke does point to fuel issues.-----May be as simple as water in the fuel.

The rest of the story—after going through a period where the engine would run almost perfect to extreme bogging when advancing throttle I checked the resistance in the two coils and got erratic readings each time. Only then noticed the mounting bolts and grounding wires were loose on both coils. Once tightened the engine ran perfect and coils ‘ resistance readings normal and consistent. Learned a lot, love my engine again, and appreciate the responses to my inquiry. Lesson learned - check electrical connections first - it’s easy!

Back