Logo

6HP Powerhead fitment issue

I've also posted this problem in Mercury Forum as they seem to all be the same. I'm working on A 2006 Mercury 6hp outboard that came apart cracking the block. We bought A powerhead for it and everything looks identical except for the ignition coil and flywheel since I'm sure the magnet is in A different position. The area where the coil bolts on is not cast into the Block but there is another area on the other side that looks like A coil would mount. I'm sure there are techs out there with A lot more experience than me on these engines that can tell me what I need to purchase to make this happen. A big THANK YOU in advance for any info that helps . I would post pictures but haven't figured out how

You may have a power head from a different revision of the motor. In Tohatsu land, they are the MFS6 A2, B, and C. The A2 has a separate coil:

002-21046-3_FIG06.jpg

The 6B could be either:
002-21046-3_FIG06.jpg or 002-21046-4_FIG06.JPG

While the 6C is always the integrated ignitor:
002-21046-8_FIG06.jpg

Thanks so much for the reply Paul, looking at your much appreciated illustrations, the secand 2 is what I have blown up and the first 2 looks like what I'm trying to work on it. Do you think that's feasible ? I see no numbers on the new one just torque specs on assembly .

As long as you use the proper flywheel for the setup (one-piece igniter vs. separate coil and CD), you should be fine. Note that the early version has a separate exciter and trigger, whereas the newer version has a one-piece ignitor, and runs on the late version flywheel. So, if you have only one flywheel to work with, use the setup for that flywheel. The later (one-piece ignitor) block has two ears cast in and threaded for the ignitor. if you have that block, and the early flywheel, you heve an issue, because you need to mount the ignitir, trigger, coil, and CD box on the newer-style block. You can do it, but will need to get a little creative as to mounting of the coil, etc. If, on the other hand, you have an early block and a one-piece ignitor, you will not have the mounting lugs for the ignitor.

My blown up Motor has the 2 cast in lugs you mentioned and my replacement doesn't have them or the opening in the cast in flywheel shroud. As long as it's not too cost prohibitive I was thinking I'd be buying A flywheel igniter and harness to convert it to old style . Since there's no numbers on the. Lock I'm lost as to what year or serial number to use for reference .

If the replacement does not have fittings for the newer one-piece ignitor, you have an early-style block. You will need to go with the earlier system, because there isn't any place to attach the new-style ignitor; otherwise, if you have a new-style ignitor from the original motor, you could get the correct short block. You would need the exciter, trigger, CD, and ignition coil.

I can help you with parts:
3H6060210MEXCITER COIL$31.97

3H6069080MPULSER COIL$30.50

3R1060601MC.D. IGNITION UNIT (CU2568) NEW STYLE$131.17

3H6060500MIGNITION COIL$42.20

Well I got inventive and did some fabrication and got the later coil mounted on the earlier block, outboard is 2006 ,powerhead is earlier. It tuns like A champ but I'm unsure of what the ign timing should be . Right now it's 23 deg BTDC. It has A slight bog on acceleration and could probably use more timing but don't want to change it and ho too far. Melted pistons aren't my favorite out on the water ��. Any ideas ?

Back