Logo

6hp Johnson Gearbox Repair question

tomcrowe

I am attempting to repair a 1998 6HP gearbox - it started sticking in forward gear - i could get it to unstick by carefully manually forcing the prop back and forth (motor off and kill switch off of course). But that no longer worked and it's now stuck in forward.

I disassembled the gearbox, and everything came apart easily until I got to the Pinion gear and the shaft/gear below it - I can't determine how to get these out - videos for larger motors show the shaft sliding out, but this seems to be stuck / jammed on mine - before applying force, is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for the advice,
Tom

That is a pretty simple design gearcase. It would seem that the prop shaft must be siezed in the forward gear. Don't know how that would happen though. Was it fulll of water & rust?

model # is ?----You might have to push in the forward gear at the top so that the pinion will slide off the driveshaft.

That is a pretty simple design gearcase. It would seem that the prop shaft must be siezed in the forward gear. Don't know how that would happen though. Was it fulll of water & rust?

No, it was good inside - good lube, no water. just a tiny bit of metal bits on the magnetic plug - no more than i'd expect in any gearcase though. So it should slide out easily?

model # is ?----You might have to push in the forward gear at the top so that the pinion will slide off the driveshaft.

I think it's a J8RSTD, but i'll have to check for sure this evening. I can push in the forward gear as you describe, and it gives clearance for the Pinion to come down - should the Pinion slide easily?, or is there something that needs to be released before it'll slide? I tried prying gently with no movement.

Thanks

Back