Logo

60* looper idle issue

Bathtubbob

I’ve got a 1995 175 J175EXEOM powerhead just rebuilt, rebuilt VRO, rebuilt fuel primer, rebuilt carbs, all new seals and gaskets everywhere. All intake related surfaces checked for warping. All floats including upper fuel bowl are new and set to spec. Engine has 90 psi across all 6 cylinders which will only go up since it hasn’t run long enough to seat the rings yet. Carbs are set at 6 turns out. Stator was replaced with a used one but issue still exists with either stator. Flywheel magnets are good. Plugs are champion oem spec and gapped at .030. Spark was tested with plug on heads and was strong blue. I am pretty stumped at this point but almost convinced it has to be ignition related. Ignition switch was also replaced which helped but this is what I have now. I included a link to a YouTube video since the forum won’t let me upload it to here directly.

https://youtube.com/shorts/BIL3pG72d88?feature=share

I’ve got a 1995 175 J175EXEOM powerhead just rebuilt, rebuilt VRO, rebuilt fuel primer, rebuilt carbs, all new seals and gaskets everywhere. All intake related surfaces checked for warping. All floats including upper fuel bowl are new and set to spec. Engine has 90 psi across all 6 cylinders which will only go up since it hasn’t run long enough to seat the rings yet. Carbs are set at 6 turns out. Stator was replaced with a used one but issue still exists with either stator. Flywheel magnets are good. Plugs are champion oem spec and gapped at .030. Spark was tested with plug on heads and was strong blue. I am pretty stumped at this point but almost convinced it has to be ignition related. Ignition switch was also replaced which helped but this is what I have now. I included a link to a YouTube video since the forum won’t let me upload it to here directly.

https://youtube.com/shorts/BIL3pG72d88?feature=share
Your idle sounds way to low should be around 1100 rpm on muffs. Are you using the high idle lever when you start it? What is your cold starting procedure? Do you have the tool for the Optical ignition? Need that to set the idle.

Last edited:
No idea if my tach is even accurate I believe it was reading maybe 900 but I could be wrong. I also have no idea if my high idle is even functioning and I don’t have the optical sensor tool. I’m very familiar with this motor mechanically but the ignition system is something a bit out of my knowledge.

cooked a cylinder. I don’t think QuickStart is working either. I don’t know much about that but I’ll check out my manual for it. Could you also point me in the right direction on how it’s wired and what to look for?

1) Why was it rebuilt? 2) Don't sound like Quickstart is working

Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all leads.?---And at the correct time ?----This motor sounds awful on each of the starting attempts.

spark jumps the gap and is strong but I’m thinking the spark is intermittent or just not firing correctly. Like I mentioned before mechanically I’m very good ignition is something I don’t know much about though. I have a new OEM power pack, coils and optics sensor on the way BUT I would like to properly diagnose this before I go throwing these parts on so I can actually learn what’s going on here.

appreciate the help.

Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all leads.?---And at the correct time ?----This motor sounds awful on each of the starting attempts.

spark jumps the gap and is strong but I’m thinking the spark is intermittent or just not firing correctly. Like I mentioned before mechanically I’m very good ignition is something I don’t know much about though. I have a new OEM power pack, coils and optics sensor on the way BUT I would like to properly diagnose this before I go throwing these parts on so I can actually learn what’s going on here.

appreciate the help.
Do you have the optical sensor tester you need that. what happens if you use the high idle lever?

i don’t have the tester couldn’t seem to find one online. Do you have an omc number for it? If by high idle lever you mean the red lever on the primer solenoid all it does is flood the motor from what I can tell.

Do you have the optical sensor tester you need that. what happens if you use the high idle lever?

We can explain once you post a picture of your control box.-----Most have a feature that allows you to give some throttle without shifting.----What I see today is a lot of new boaters who are unfamiliar with boats and motors.-----Just used to sitting in a new car and pushing a button.

oh I have binnacle controls I can pop the lever out and control throttle without shifting

this is my first “real” boat. Prior to this I only messed around with aluminum jon boats with 2 cylinder Johnson’s.

We can explain once you post a picture of your control box.-----Most have a feature that allows you to give some throttle without shifting.----What I see today is a lot of new boaters who are unfamiliar with boats and motors.-----Just used to sitting in a new car and pushing a button.

Back