Logo

60 HP 4 Stroke EFI 2015 - idling problem

MathiasB

Model: 0p515897 thru 1c453839 - belgium.

Hey,

I was on the water the other day and my boat was working fine out of the harbour in idle gear, a bit after i increased the RPM's to go faster it started sounding weird and rough kinda like a cylinder was cutting in and out or it was starving fuel, and i had to be dragged back as it cut out and would only run for 1 second.
I have taken som corrective measures and i might have solved the main problem and this is a secondary one: I haven't tried it under load yet. I have only tried it in high idle in the slip by raising the rpms without being in gear and small bursts of power. It idles fine in low idle. 750 rpm cirka. When i raise the rpms to around 1000 it starts surging just a tad up and down, i would say around 0-200 rpms, some times 50 rpm sometimes 100, and its noticeable by ear.
If i go from 1200 RPM to idle in an instant it might cough for a second but then idles fine again.

Obviously i am a bit hesitant to take it out as it might die again if these things are related, and no one is there to drag me back.

What i have done so far:

Changed the low pressure fuel filter and high pressure fuel filter
Cleaned the main pickup screen in the VST on the bottom of the high pressure pump, pump screen was quite dirty. Regulator screen also had some debris.
Cleaned the Fuel Pressure Regulator screen in the VST.
The tank is changed a long with the primer bulb and hose.
I have changed all 4 spark plugs.
It also just have had a regular service, changing oil, gear oil etc.

I haven't checked the fuel pressure in high idle yet because i don't have the tool, so i assume i could diagnose if its a pump related issue if the pressure is not constant.

But if its not pump related i have no idea what i could be. I think the Solenoid valve could have some thing to do with the idle. But it does go Pop, pop, pop whenever it starts but then fades out after a while in idle and starts again if you raise the RPM.

Any help or pointers to diagnostics would be greatly appreciated. I don't really just wanna start throwing expensive parts at the problem.

Thanks,
Mathias

Back