Logo

6 hp Evinrude 1976 starving for air.

timguy

Silver Medal Contributor
Sold this motor to a fellow out in Virginia Beach and depending on wind direction the motor is loading up and getting inadequate air in the operating chamber of his sailboat. It doesn't act up when the cowling is removed but then of course there is more noise to contend with. Any suggestions on how to get this little motor some fresh air and keep it running smoothly. Thanks, Tim

I have never had this problem but a rule of thumb says that if the motor does not run well with the cover on it but runs fine when it is removed you most likely have an exhaust leak. That exhaust around the engine will cause a displacement of the oxygen that is required for the engine to fire and run. With the cover off this problem would go away.

Perhaps spray a little liquid mixture like WD40 around the exhaust / gasket areas of the motor and see if you can identify where the leak might be coming from and go from there.

Likely the motor is mounted in a lazarette.------Time for some work to route away the exhaust.----Duct work to route in some fresh air.

He would have this issue no matter what brand of ---" belchfire 6 "--- he put in there.----I would not worry about it.

I suggested he put in a small blower that is used on inboard outboards they're only about 25 bucks.

Back