Logo

50hp Mercury on pontoon…prop size???

grw1cop

Well, haven’t gotten much help on the wiring…so another question someone may have help with. Purchased this older pontoon Sweetwater Godfrey 20’ with the 4 stroke Mercury. It had a damaged prop so I’ve been looking for the best prop, size and pitch. I know they aren’t supposed to go real fast but I’d still like to move. Not concerned about holeshot but would like to get where I’m going in a timely fashion.

Go to the Mercury website and use the links for selecting the correct propeller for your application. Do some research, no one can tell you the correct prop to run with a 50 on a pontoon. Go to a pontoon forum and ask them....

What is the diameter and pitch of your existing propeller? Was your existing propeller performing ok? If the diameter is smaller than the pitch chances are you have the wrong propeller on the pontoon. Pontoon proller sizes are totally different from Jon and Bass Boats for sure.

The existing prop was trashed…I think the guy left the motor down when he loaded. So I have no idea if it operated properly. I think it was a 12 1/4” x 9 pitch. I’m having a buddy weld it and just keep it as an emergency prop. That way I could limp home if I lose or break a prop. I believe I have enough clearance to go up to a 12 1/2 “ or maybe 13”. Then there is the option to go stainless…I’ve heard that may increase my speed a little.

You need the 9" pitch I say.-----Pontoon boats are not the same as a 14' runabout.------A 13" pitch on a 20' pontoon will damage your motor.

I was referring to the diameter of the prop…when I said 13”. So do you think if I could find a 12 1/2” diameter with a 10 pitch, that might work to increase the speed some?

Oh yeah do I know…just a relaxing day down the river… Anyone know where to get a 12 1/4 x 9 stainless for my merc? Not costing me an arm and a leg…

Back