Logo

50 hp evinrude lower unit re-seal question

cjbrill715

Regular Contributor
I’m re-sealing a lower unit off a 1984 50 hp evinrude. Myquestion is, the three bolts that hold the bearing carrier in place (that havethe little o-rings on them) what kind of torque are you putting on these? I’mafraid of tightening them too much and squashing the o-rings out. Also, while I’mat it, do you guys use gasket sealing compound on the bearing carrier on themain o-ring that seals it to the walls of the gearcase casting? Or just greaseit?....Lastly, do you guys put grease in between the stacked shaft seals (oilretainer seals) that are on the prop shaft, and drive shaft? I just oiled thelips, and didn’t put grease in between them, was wondering if that is goodenough?

The wee o-rings fit in a machined recess in those 3 bolt.----They can be squeezed but they do not squeeze out.----Torque to 100 INCH LBS.----I put grease in between the seals.

The wee o-rings fit in a machined recess in those 3 bolt.----They can be squeezed but they do not squeeze out.----Torque to 100 INCH LBS.----I put grease in between the seals.

Thanks for the info....Do you use gasket sealing compound on the big o-ring on the bearing carrier, or will a coat of grease be sufficient providing the sealing surface is relatively scratch free?

Back