Logo

5.7 No start Has me stumped.

millerjustin82

Hey all, I just purchased a 25' bayliner that has a swapped 5.7 in it. The old timer that sold it to me lives across the road and has had issues getting it running this year. Long story short, he's too old to manage the boat and has no time or motivation to fix it so I got a great deal. So, between the two of us it now has a new starter, cap/rotor, Ignition coil, battteries and ignition module. I have spark at the plug, it turns over fine, and even when giving it a shot of fuel straight into the carb it won't fire. Like....not even a cough or hiccup, nothing like there's no spark at all. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.....Also, I can't seem to find a serial on the block, it might be I don't have enough joints in my neck, or that I need to remove some surface rust to find it, but I can't see it.

Regards, The new no start GUy

Hey all, I just purchased a 25' bayliner that has a swapped 5.7 in it. The old timer that sold it to me lives across the road and has had issues getting it running this year. Long story short, he's too old to manage the boat and has no time or motivation to fix it so I got a great deal. So, between the two of us it now has a new starter, cap/rotor, Ignition coil, battteries and ignition module. I have spark at the plug, it turns over fine, and even when giving it a shot of fuel straight into the carb it won't fire. Like....not even a cough or hiccup, nothing like there's no spark at all. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.....Also, I can't seem to find a serial on the block, it might be I don't have enough joints in my neck, or that I need to remove some surface rust to find it, but I can't see it.

Regards, The new no start GUy

Welcome, I think there are "sticky" notes here somewhere.

sorry.. just read you said you have spark @ the plug.. but.. if you have Fuel and Spark.. it should start..

BUT.. I guess your timing could be off or likely your plug wires are out of order, but I would expect a sputter.. of sorts.

Short answer is, when you are "Cranking" the Engine there is a wire from the Starter to the Ignition Circuit to the COIL depending on the year so the Coil gets a BOOST of power.

normally the coil gets about 9V when running ( not exact ).. and need 12V when cranking as if you only give it 9V then when cranking it will be 6v or less due to voltage drop when cranking.. that could be part of the issue, is you aren't getting the power to the coil during cranking.

to "test" you can temporarily put 12V to the COIL direct from a 12V source like the battery with a small jumper wire ( 12-14G ) and try starting..
once it starts though remove the wire.. if it stays running, you've found your problem..

IF it shuts off.. you've also found your problem is that you aren't getting power to the COIL at any time..

this may help...

There are wiring diagrams around that you can test power to the coil with the KEY ON and when "starting/cranking".. that's the ideal way ( if you have a helper )..

Last edited:
Back