Logo

5.0gl-f would not restart

RANDY H

At the dock I noticed trouble with letting down the lower unit the gauge was not moving smoothly (starting and stopping) after four or five attempts I finally got the trim down all the way. Circled several times to allow warm up - accelerated slowly and after about fifteen minutes opened her up to 45 mi. attempted to readjust the trim three times and the engine immediately spit and cut out -all the gauges would spike and go crazy before I could get off the trim switch. So I left the trim down and the engine ran great till I turned it off 30 minutes later. After fishing for about an hour I tried to restart the motor-and nothing happened, not even the warning tone when the key is engaged. No reaction from the gauges it was like there was no batteries connected. I checked the battery test switch (connected to my electric motor) and it read 14+ volts. After being towed back to the dock I replaced ALL the fuses ( except for the grey one in the main fuse box) and still now reaction - not even the radio plays! ANY (I mean ANY) ideas? No corrosion anywhere - engine only has 55 hours on it.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... My Waguess is you have some seriously corroded wiring connections....

Start at the battery, removin', cleanin' to shiney metal clean, 'n reinstallin' the connections....
And,....
Don't forget the Grounds... 'cause my guess is, the Ground paths is yer real Issue...

Even though you don't see the corrosion, it's there, hidden in the connections...
That's why ya need Shiney Metal Clean connections....

I always slather Grease over 'em, to hold back more corrosion, later....

I here ya on the negative wiring side (didn't think of that one) just checked batteries and did a visual on the rest of it. Will go back for a closer inspect -everything wash shiny so I left them alone at the timw (figured with only 50 hours on the motor corrosion shouldn't have been my problem). Thanks for keepin' me honest1

whats your voltage at the starter, cables corrode from the inside out. do voltage drops on your pos and neg cables. has your key switch gone bad.... start at the battery and work through the system.

Back