Logo

48SPL runs on water hose all dies on the lake

crazy T

Hello new to the forum appreciate any help engine runs a little rough at idle on the trailer with the water hose connected will rev with no problems and runs smother at hi RPM, once on the lake it will get up on plane and run for about 5 min then dies no sputtering just dies what has been done / replaced carbs taken apart and cleaned added in line fuel filter, correct spark plugs installed, CDI replaced and both ignition coils replaced. Took flywheel off found wire for sensor wire was rubbed tthru to the core by flywheel repaired it and tucked it out of the way problem is worse idle out of no wake and fell on its face as i attemped to throttle up made it back to ramp pulled out and tried it on the trailer fired right up. backed it into the water to fire up and wont stay running as if water is grounding something out.

Model # of the motor is ?----And post the compression test actual values here.----On the trailer " in gear " is still neutral as the prop does no work.----Checked the reed valves ?---Torqued the flywheel nut to the correct value ?----High speed jets confirmed clean and the correct size?

Yes sorry VE48ESLCCC, reeds were checked when carbs were removed and cleaned the high speed jets are the original ones to this motor which never had a problem previously I will check the compression and post it. Can you provide the flywheel torque?

There you go.-----Remove cylinder head on this 1988 model.----Lucky you if it is a blown head gasket.----If a scored cylinder , these motors are easy to rebuild.----Another example of why I insist on compression testing.

Back