Logo

454 ? posted on THT but looking for a little more advice

Masagana

Just bought a new to me Tiara 3100 with twin quadra-jet Crusader 454's which ran great during survey and sea trial. I was told that the Starboard side had 50 hours SMOH (looks like it), and the Port side 500. (who really knows?)

Recently I've had some trouble with the Port side (500 hrs) starting, (seemed to flood) and it ran rough or stalled under heavy load. Replaced the quadra-jet with a factory rebuilt.

Still starts hard, and if I run with just that engine, she runs fine at 1,200 RPM but get it much above that and it surges and tries real hard to stall. It seems not to be able to handle the load

I know it sounds pretty bad, but other than that it runs fine. Purrs like a kitten in neutral, tops out at 4,200 and has no rattles or vibrations. Just finished a 120 mile round trip from Stuart to the Western shore of Lake Okeechobee, and other than starting hard one time out of three, I only had a single problem while running at 1,800 when approaching a lock.

Ran most of the way at 2,800 to 3,200 and did not use a drop of oil. As a matter of fact the oil on that side looks it it just came from the bottle as opposed to the newer engine side which is a little to be expected sooty.

New electricals on both sides, from wires to caps and rotors to plugs

What would you start with, the air/fuel mixture screw(s), the fuel pump or the timing?

First off, let me assure you the "factory rebuild" was not done by rochester but an aftermarket rebuilder. That said, some are better than others when it comes to workmanship.

I'd start by verifying the advance mechanism in the distributor is advancing, especially if it uses the mechancial advance...filter changes would also be in order...if the history is unknown, a good tuneup would also be on the todo list but I'd defer that until the issue is resolved.

If the timing advance works, I'd check the fuel pump pressure.

Back