Logo

4200 rpm shut off.

Buckrocker

Mercury xr6 0T 995389 (2005 year)
I bought my first boat after retiring last fall. It ran fine when I tested it but on my last 2 trips it would accelerate up to 4200 rpm then stop. Almost like hitting a rev limiter. It did that for about 30 minutes and then it would started to suddenly accelerate as normal and then shut back down to 4200. It was like turning a switch off and on. After about 10 minutes of doing this it ran fine up to 5100 rpm the rest of the day. I attributed it to some bad gas I may have got on the way to the lake.
The next trip out it did the exact same thing. I then replaced gas line and bulb. I pulled out about 3 gallons of gas into glass jug to look for particulates but found none.
The only other thing I have noticed is the tach randomly jumps around. I tested the charging voltage and it seemed fine around 13.2 to a little over 14 volts. So I thought it might be a bad tach. I just got a new set of plugs but I have not been back out to the lake with them.
Could bad voltage regulators be the problem? Or could is be just bad fuel that I need to get out?
I hate to just start throwing money at random parts.
Any suggestions are welcome. I live several hours away from any mercury service centers.

I found an old post which had a similar problem and it turned out to be a sensor. I guess now I am wondering if a sensor is bad wouldn’t there be a alarm from the boat? Again any help is appreciated.

Back