Logo

40hp force no foward has reverse

buyingstuff

i just purchased a 40hp force

i just purchased a 40hp force newer model tag is missing powered by mercury so knows it is 90`s had a noise guy i bought it from thought it was rod bearing i kept listening and ruled that out but sounded similar put in gear and it stopped going foward sounded like a spun shaft but reverse is fine.when turning prop with motor off i get a popping sound any ideas?

"Sounds like either the clutch

"Sounds like either the clutch is chewed (on the forward gear side) or the forward gear itself is chewed.

When in forward gear you should be able to rotate the prop clockwise and you will get a clicking/popping sound (the gears slipping on the clutch) - when you try and rotate counter-clockwise it should lock up tight and not let you rotate it at all.

It is also possible that the lower end of the shift shaft assembly is toasted.

Outboards "naturally" run in reverse. The shift shaft normally operates a flange or a wedge to push the propshaft aft, forcing the forward gear to mesh with the clutch (disengaging reverse in the process which is located on the other side of the clutch gear, also referred to as a "clutch dog")

Regardless of what is to blame, you will have to tear down the lower unit to see what's going on..."

Back