Logo

40hp 1995 yamaha chatters in forward and reverse

Giustino

Hello,

I have a 1995 Yamaha 40hp 2 stroke. I went to put it in reverse this weekend. It was really hard and even broke the plastic end piece on my shift cable. While the engine was off, I disconnected the shift cable from the motor and tried shifting it manually. It will sometimes pop into one gear (either forward or reverse) but will sometimes not got into the other. For instance, I pushed it forward and it engaged into forward, when I tried to pop it back into reverse, it won’t click in and even seems like I’m pushing against a spring at a certain point. If I spin the prop (in neutral), then try to engage it, it will then pop in to the gear that is giving the problem. Ok, so I start the motor in neutral and pop it all the way into either forward or reverse gear. It catches both gears but chatters a bit in either gear. Pretty sure it’s catching and slipping. At this point, the cable is disconnected and the shifter is being fully engaged to the max. My engine engages the shift link with a twisting motion and doesn't seem to have any way to adjust it. It seems like an adjustment issue.... I drained a tiny bit of gear oil from the lower unit and it was clean and clear. Please advise. Thanks.

Back