Logo

4.3 Shift Interrupter Switch

wblazer

Regular Contributor
I am aware that the old style switch is no longer available. Why was this change made? Does the new assembly work better or easier for adjustments?

maybe they started kicking back to a different guy at merc. or the original maker stopped kicking back.

What year is this boat.

ok the last reply is right maybe. but the old time one last and last like the bunny. Who knows omc used micro switch's.

I always wonder why different screw heads are used on different products.

Why star heads i had to get set of drivers for them. square heads , etc.

They pay some one off or kick back and whamo they sell a million sets of drivers just for those screw heads.

Ok i feel better after the rant.

Back in the early to mid ninety's they went to a different shift bracket set up. it uses a push pull pistion (shift assist) then they changed the entire tolerance of all the parts on the shift bracket which allowed less precise set up for easier set up. this was when the went to a simple (CHEAP) to manufacture momentary micro switch. It is a simple plastic spring loaded center loaded micro switch vs a long metal arm switch a roller mechanizim.

$$$$$$$$$$$$ was the driving factore........also it could be said it is more reliable due to less parts need to manufacture the switch.....

JMHO

Thanks guys for all your info. I will have to purchase and install the new set up as my switch arm twisted by previous boat owner. Running without it now, knowing it is not a good practise.

Back