Logo

4.3 EFI cutting of randomly

BoatService

Hello.
I have a curious problem with my motor. The engine can run absolutely fine for an hour, and the start to lose a bit of power. Rpms drop a few hundred and if I increase throttle at this time the boat falls down of plane. Turning the engine off for 10 sec and restarting fixes the issue. Up on plane again - may run fine for an hour, or repeats problem within a few minutes. This happened on/off last season. Changed distributor cap and put in new wires and plugs - no difference.
This season the issue seems to have gotten worse. After running the engine for an hour, a few relatively load knocking sounds came from the engine room and the engine cut down completely. Re-stared engine and everything was fine. Drove for another hour - no problems.
Yesterday the knocking reappeared and the engine cut off again. Re-started, up on plane - cut off. Re-started, up on plane - cut off. Limped homewards at 6 knots. When nearly home pushed the engine a bit more - up on plane everything ok, then 3500 revs - no problem.

Thoughts?

What made you suspect the distributor cap and rotor, plugs and wires if the engine was running "absolutely fine"?

Hello.
Discovered this piece of silicone (?) stuck to the end of the fuelpipe inside the fueltank. I think problem solved.

Last edited:
Back