Logo

390 inceptor/eaton ford

Loree Hill

I recently bought a 1968 Glasspar 18' pleasurecraft and it has a 390 in it . When I bought it I was assured that the engine was running or had run by other people, than the guy who sold it to me. A repair man tried to start it but it got almost to kicking in but doesn't. He took a voltage meter stuck it down in 3 sparkplug cells turned to me and said the engine was toast. he said its spitting water out of it . I was a wondering if there is a rebuild kit for this 350 long block engine or better yet can I upgrade to a newer engine and still use the bell housing and sorry can you tell me what I should check besides the brand new marine battery I bought for it before I attempt to tear an engine apart

oh I've also been told it is a 351W but mostly they say it's a 390 the only thing I could find on the engine is the plug firing order and the block PN C8AE-9452

oh from process of elimination I found out it is a 390 will be able to check on Monday to see if it is an FE. so please disregard the previous comment

I would join a Ford automotive enthusiasts forum...... these guys will know what mixes/interchanges with the 390.

However, make sure that you DO NOT use the Automotive build techniques for a Marine engine.

As for the flywheel cover question (bell housing in the auto world), I'm thinking that the 390 rear engine flange is not the same as the 351w rear engine flange.
If your 390 flywheel cover system is Borg Warner...... there's plenty of Borg Warner stuff out there for the 335 series Fords.

Last edited:
Thank you don't be suurprized if I ask lots more questions. The last time I worked on a car was to change the transmission back in 1997 and I didn't have a computer back then. this is the first time I've ever dealt with an engine. I do know it's not the 351W because the firing order for the plugs is wrong. Good thing I have plenty of time

Back