Logo

35el78r

billy hicklen

I have a 1978 35hp Evinrude id#35el78r and only have 60pis on both top and button cyclers. Can't get it to run on low idle and just don't run good.
I'm sure it got over heated, but changed water pump and thermostat. Resynchronize the carb. Could the low compression cause it to not idol correctly? It runs but hard to start, can't get it to adjust out right.

Take cylinder head off,------You have a blown head gasket ----Warped cylinder head.----Or a motor that needs rebuilding.

Lots of those things burned up here in Florida's semi-tropical weed-choked lakes. The weeds blocked the water intake holes on the front of the gearcase.

Take cylinder head off,------You have a blown head gasket ----Warped cylinder head.----Or a motor that needs rebuilding.
I was thinking that but it isn't my motor and wanted a 2nd opinion just to show Mark(the owner) what we needed to do. Thanks for your help will be ordering the parts just as soon as I show him this answer you gave me. What about the reed value?

Of course it has reed valves.-----But before you ask, the reed valves have nothing to do with compression in the cylinders !

Back