Logo

3 year old 70 hp Suzuki whines on startup

rar2023

My 3 year old engine whines for about 15 seconds when i start. Settles down and runs fine. I've had the engine serviced twice and don't put a lot of hours on the engine. Is this a normal startup sound?

I'll have to get someone with me for the next start and pull the cover off. I'm usually alone. My process is that i turn the key and allow the beeping to stop. I then crank the engine. from the engine, i hear a whining for about 15 seconds. I drive old BMWs and I'd equate the sound to a fuel pump starting in my car. The sounds goes away after about 15 seconds. Thanks for your help and I'll provide a more exact location in the engine asap. I was wondering if this was a expected sound or unusual during a start. Otherwise, the engine runs great.

I have the same start up procedure as you, by the time the self check beeping is done my fuel pump has pressurized the fuel system. I don’t hear the fuel pump over the beeping. I THINK the fuel pump is controlled by time from the ECM. Put a long handle screwdriver on the VST and the other end to your ear while starting, you should “hear” the high pressure pump pressuring up over the noise of the beeping. If the fuel pump is finished pressuring up before the beeping is done then check the starter.

I have the same start up procedure as you, by the time the self check beeping is done my fuel pump has pressurized the fuel system. I don’t hear the fuel pump over the beeping. I THINK the fuel pump is controlled by time from the ECM. Put a long handle screwdriver on the VST and the other end to your ear while starting, you should “hear” the high pressure pump pressuring up over the noise of the beeping. If the fuel pump is finished pressuring up before the beeping is done then check the starter.
Will do. Thank you for your input.

Back