Logo

3 hp Evinrude (50s-60s) questions

overland

I need a small outboard to use on a small fishing boat, and I’ve been looking at the old Evinrude 3 hp motors. I have a couple questions. What’s the difference between the 3 hp Lightwin and the regular 3 hp? Also, the motors advertised generally haven’t been used for a while. For example, I have the choice between a motor that was drained and fogged 15 years ago, and one that was last used about 7 years ago, was little used, and yet has been stored with gasoline in it. How big a deal is it for a buyer like me that the gas was drained or not?
I’ll be grateful for any advice.

A "regular" 3hp of the 1950's would a Lightwin, with a weedless lower unit. A "Ducktwin" is the same motor with a different paint color for duck hunters. A "Yachtwin" is the same motor with right angle (straight) drive for sailboats. Having said that, there were many changes made through the years, all based on the original design. For instance, fiberglass hood, folding models, and increased horsepower to 4hp.

Thank you. I wondered about that and am happy that there's one less decision to make. What about deciding which motor? None I'm looking at have run recently or I think are running now, but they are in different conditions. The one that's had the least use has had gas in it for a number of years. The one that was best cared for was well used and has sat for the last 15 years (it's also the cheapest). How to I navigate these possibilities?

That's a tough question to answer. The one stored with gas in it absolutely needs a complete fuel system cleaning. However, the other one may need it also. The one that was stored 15 years is a good candidate for needing new coils. But again, that one doesn't let the other one off the hook.

Bottom line is if it is in good mechanical condition, you better plan on spending at least $100 on it, plus time. If internals are bad, the sky is the limit. If you aren't prepared to accept the gamble, old motors are not for you. BUT it is a great hobby, and addicting.

Buy both of them !!-----You will have part galore for years to come.------I would never pay more than $75 for one that has sat for years.

That's a tough question to answer. The one stored with gas in it absolutely needs a complete fuel system cleaning. However, the other one may need it also. The one that was stored 15 years is a good candidate for needing new coils. But again, that one doesn't let the other one off the hook.

Bottom line is if it is in good mechanical condition, you better plan on spending at least $100 on it, plus time. If internals are bad, the sky is the limit. If you aren't prepared to accept the gamble, old motors are not for you. BUT it is a great hobby, and addicting.

By that, I meant for parts, after the purchase.

Back