Logo

290 dp question

welshswampy

Regular Contributor
Evenin all, I'm repowering a 1988 24ft bayliner trophy from OMC to a GM V8 6.2 diesel with a 290 dp
The project is about 90% complete, just some wiring and a couple of hoses left to fit(and find some A3 props)
My questions are:-
Can I re-use the OMC trim pump with the 290 drive
If I can, does anyone know the size of the 2 male threaded domed fittings coming through the transom (the fittings that the hydraulic pipes from the rams connect on to) don't know the correct name sorry

Is the OMC pump strong enough to cope with the duoprops thrust whilst trimmed?
The OMC engine was 230 hp, the GM is 170

Also what are the advantages in using OEM props over Michigan, over here Michigan are priced around £400 and VP are £630 (big difference) are they worth the extra, or is the performance negligible

Any help much appreciated
Nick

Nick, the hydraulic hose fittings may not be the same. The pump itself should be capable.
You may want to try a hydraulic hose company and see if they can build new hoses to accommodate the the pump fittings.

As for props, I see no reason why the Michigan props won't work. Just give then all of your information.
They may set you up with the A series props... not sure.

Yes Rick, they are different sized fittings between OMC and VP (I'll get the fitting measured to determine the size) just wondered if anyone knew off the top of their head
Once I get the size I can get them made easily enough, was concerned that i couldnt use the pump
As for the props, they are approx A3, VP couldnt be any more accurate as its a GM lump and not a VP and their formula only allows for VP
Wanted to ask if there was a big difference in performance between VP and michigan, if not, then i'll go michigan
Thanks again
Nick

Back