Logo

290 attempting to engage when revving engine in neutral

mtrigger

Anyone come across the 290 drive feeling like it is trying to engage partially when revving the engine in neutral? Quite an unsettling bang and very intermittent.

If the sliding sleeve is being maintained in the neutral position (between the two gear cups), there is no way for it to contact and further engage.
Pull the eccentric piston housing... (aka shift mechanism).
See if the shift shoe is in tact!

Also, make sure that all components... shift unit, cable, linkage at drive, etc.... are all aligned correctly when the eccentric piston is in Absolute Neutral when all is adjusted.
The eccentric piston being in Neutral is your starting point.... all is adjusted to this.

BTW...., If you are using a Duo Prop or LH prop, and this "BANG" occured during fwd engagement, you will want to remove the transmission, and inspect the vertical shaft split ring keeper (aka wear washer).
The 290 washer is brass, and is rather soft.
A hard hit will expand it.
Repeated hits and/or force expands these over time as it is.

A failure here will cause severe damage.

Any photos????

Thanks Rick. I have yet to look inspect it in detail. My own DP290 did exactly the same for a while but no longer does so. Symptoms are quite straightforward - rev the engine in neutral and it will 'bang' but not really engage properly. I will of course check all the alignments and cable configuration etc. Somehow it is trying to engage but doesn't do so. Immediately you swiftly throttle back it stops immediately. These old drives and AQ configurations don't have the transmission fail safe as you know!

Thanks again

MIke

Thanks Rick. .......... These old drives and AQ configurations don't have the transmission fail safe as you know!
Mike..... if the eccentric piston and shift shoe are OK, the checks (fail safes) are (1) the detent pin and V notch (2) the shift shoe spring pressure that forces the pin into the V notch.
If all is working correctly, there should be nothing causing gear engagement prior to a shift being initiated.

In order for a random engagement to occur, the sliding sleeve would need to be free to move up/down vertically on it's own!

(the arrows were used for another thread topic)

253200.jpg

293599.jpg

I think that you'll see some tell tale signs with the shift mech is removed.
If not, then you'll need to take it down further.

Holler if you need help.

Last edited:
Back