Logo

25 hp manual timing 1996

So I have been seeing the "joe" method of setting the timing... but how does one do this with a manual start engine? I have a 96 J25REDA and have had the head off due to the previous owner stripping top cylinder out for s/p.. I am a very novice mechanic... I am more of a parts looker upper, as that's my profession.. besides that.. I know to find TDC and then use the flywheel marks and go from there.. but how do I go from "there"?

I'm asking how would I set it? Am I on the right path? I honestly don't know much about what I'm doing. I got a non- running, rebuilt motor from a guy for a deal at this point. I have got to replace the fuel lines and replace the primer before I can start digging deeper.

If you insist , then disable starter interlock.-----Set up your timing light.-------Put motor to full throttle.----Have your assistant pull on the recoil-----Check maximum timing advance.

Flywheel had to be off for a rebuild.-----But the flywheel is positioned with a woodruff key.----Timing will be exactly the same after assembly !

Back