Logo

25 hp 2 stroke mariner

WayneJ

Hello i recently bought a boat with a mariner 25 hp 2 stroke im uncertain of the year but its probably from the late 80s or early 90s. It has a pull start as well as an electric starter. When i got the boat most of the wires from the motor to the ignition were coroded and nicked all over.Being avionics replacing all the wires and terminals from the motor to the ignition was no problem. I even did a one for one swap with all the wirering so as not to cross or mix up the wires. Yesterday i hooked up the battery and plugged the hose into the bunny ears and tried to start it. The only response from the motor i got was smoke billowing from one wire on the engine that runs to the ignition. It literally melted most of the sheilding off down most of the length of the wire. I checked my batteery and its putting out 12.3 volts so i dont thing its putting out too much power. Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated! I also noticed that the the starter was dropped down below the wheel dare i call it a fly wheel?

You're hurting if you fried that switch box, stator or trigger coil.

Try jumping the starter directly, plugs out, and check for spark.

Jeff

Ok I will and do you know if its possible to convert from electric back to manual seing on how the motor still has the pull chord, and if it is possible how would i kill it?

Back