Logo

225 Optimax mystery problem

elkbuster

I have a 2002 Mercury Optimax 225. I am in Colorado. I have not experienced any problems using the motor and boat that I bought new in 2002. The engine has 365 hours on it. This year I have had into the local Mercury Dealer twice for problems. The symptom with the engine not wanting to start after being used for both approximately 10 minutes and after a half hour or so of operating (fishing, trolling at Lake Powell) problems. Both times I took the boat and into the Mercury Dealer the motor has started up just fine for them. The first time I took the boat and motor in (in May),they changed plugs, replaced the fuel separator, reported good compression and spark, said direct injectors were slightly out of spec, air tested "DIs" ??, as ok and verified fuels air pressure??. I used it June down at Powell for about 4 hours (over 3 days) with no problems. On July 2nd my wife and I took the boat back down to Powell. It operated fine the first day taking gear to the houseboat. The next day I tried to take a cruise to the Halls Marina and the boat would turn over but wouldn't start. It sort of kicked back so I left it alone and we used the trolling motor to get back to the marina and take the boat out and back home. I took it back to the local Mercury Dealer to see if they could find out the ongoing, intermittent problem. The battery was low so they charged it up They checked it out again. It started fine for them and no codes showed up. They said it could be that the battery didn't turn the motor over fast enough for it to start, however, I have run the battery dead with the trolling motor and then waited about 10 minutes then it just had enough chug to start the motor. I am puzzled as well as the technicians. Any thoughts from anyone as to why it runs sometimes and wont start other times?

If the battery voltage is dropping below 10 volts while cranking at the starter, the engine will not start. If there is a voltage drop at the starter and the battery is good, you will need to replace the rigging battery cable.

Thanks Dockside Marine Services. I will pass the information on to the techs!!

I have a 2002 Mercury Optimax 225. I am in Colorado. I have not experienced any problems using the motor and boat that I bought new in 2002. The engine has 365 hours on it. This year I have had into the local Mercury Dealer twice for problems. The symptom with the engine not wanting to start after being used for both approximately 10 minutes and after a half hour or so of operating (fishing, trolling at Lake Powell) problems. Both times I took the boat and into the Mercury Dealer the motor has started up just fine for them. The first time I took the boat and motor in (in May),they changed plugs, replaced the fuel separator, reported good compression and spark, said direct injectors were slightly out of spec, air tested "DIs" ??, as ok and verified fuels air pressure??. I used it June down at Powell for about 4 hours (over 3 days) with no problems. On July 2nd my wife and I took the boat back down to Powell. It operated fine the first day taking gear to the houseboat. The next day I tried to take a cruise to the Halls Marina and the boat would turn over but wouldn't start. It sort of kicked back so I left it alone and we used the trolling motor to get back to the marina and take the boat out and back home. I took it back to the local Mercury Dealer to see if they could find out the ongoing, intermittent problem. The battery was low so they charged it up They checked it out again. It started fine for them and no codes showed up. They said it could be that the battery didn't turn the motor over fast enough for it to start, however, I have run the battery dead with the trolling motor and then waited about 10 minutes then it just had enough chug to start the motor. I am puzzled as well as the technicians. Any thoughts from anyone as to why it runs sometimes and wont start other times?
Thanks Dockside Marine Services. I will pass the information on to the technicians.

To Dockside Marine Services. Just a note to say thanks. Sorry for the late response. I lost my password and have been prepping for hunting season. I think you were correct with stating that it was a voltage problem with my 225 Optimax. So far so good with two trips back to Powell. The Marine Dealer added a third battery dedicated strictly to the Optimax. The original two batteries now only supply power to the trolling motor.

To Dockside Marine Services. Just a note to say thanks. Sorry for the late response. I lost my password and have been prepping for hunting season. I think you were correct with stating that it was a voltage problem with my 225 Optimax. So far so good with two trips back to Powell. The Marine Dealer added a third battery dedicated strictly to the Optimax. The original two batteries now only supply power to the trolling motor.

The dedicated battery for the engine MUST be a 1000cca battery.

Back