Logo

2019 Mercury Verado V8 oil leak and fuel sheen

@charlie1932

Did the sheen problem ever go away with more hours? I just got a new boat with twin Verado 300's (just 15 hours on it now) and I noticed the sheen in the water today. Was worried something was wrong and glad to find this thread.

Thanks!

@charlie1932

Did the sheen problem ever go away with more hours? I just got a new boat with twin Verado 300's (just 15 hours on it now) and I noticed the sheen in the water today. Was worried something was wrong and glad to find this thread.

Thanks!

Good morning, the sheen problem occured when shutting down the engine shortly after having started it. The problem went away with more hours. My dealer went through great effort to solve the issue.

Good morning, the sheen problem occured when shutting down the engine shortly after having started it. The problem went away with more hours. My dealer went through great effort to solve the issue.

Thank you for the update. I had the dealer look at it with me this morning, and even so on a short sea trial. His conclusion is that it is unburnt fuel when the engine first starts. He believes it will go away with more hours as well. Glad this matches your experience.

There is a bulletin on Four stroke Merc outboards.... Do not store them with the engine in the down position. Oil will sit on the back side of the piston in the bore and pass the rings causing oil sheen in the water on start up.

So trim your engine up a few degrees to allow oil drainage back to the pan.

There is a bulletin on Four stroke Merc outboards.... Do not store them with the engine in the down position. Oil will sit on the back side of the piston in the bore and pass the rings causing oil sheen in the water on start up.

So trim your engine up a few degrees to allow oil drainage back to the pan.

Suzuki does the same thing if the engine is stored greater than vertical(too close to transom). Would this be a 4 stroke thing not just Mercury and Suzuki?

It probably depends on design factors and I might not say it's applicable to all four strokes. That might be a good idea, however, to tilt up a four stroke so any residual lubricating oil will not settle towards the combustion chamber. For instance, did you ever notice how your lawn mower will smoke when you first start it....depending on how you parked it?

The engine was replaced under warranty, so the engine was not dismantled.
I have what sounds like a similar problem. When at idle the underwater exhaust just above the lower unit is leaving a sheen or oil slick on the water. I just had the lower unit seal kit replaced after I found the lower unit gear oil full of water. The carrier was split and the dealer resealed everything with a lower unit seal kit. I thought this was the problem, but after that repair I am still seeing an oil slick. Does this sound like the problem you had? How did they finally verify it was the lower crank seal after initially blaming the problem on unburned hydrocarbons?

Back