Logo

2018 Honda 40 HP surging

kenner

I purchased a 2018 Alumacraft 165 Escape with a wheel and it had a 2018 Honda 40 H.P. outboard motor on it.
The motor has 28 hours on it, I have been running this motor for approx. 2 months now, at approx. 3,000 RPM's the engine will surge up and down around 300 rpm's, once I get into 3/4 throttle and above it runs perfect, it also seems to run fine at lower speeds and RPM's.
At first I thought maybe it was because the engine was not warmed up enough, it does not matter, hot or cold I get that midrange surge. I run prem. fuel, motor starts perfect hot or cold.
Is this normal for Honda's? This is my first Honda outboard.

Thanks
kenner

You will need to run it with diagnostics to monitor sensor function, in particular, O2 sensor. Motor should still be under wsrranty?

I just replied to a thread above about "surging", and my experience over a lot of years is that electrical problems are the more likely cause. New set of plugs, properly gapped, and try that before getting too deep in the weeds, and always leave the dock with at least two ways to get home. Cheers, Gleno

Tried a new set of spark plugs and no difference, so I will locate a Honda outboard dealer and run a scan.
Thanks for your help.

kenner

Back