Logo

2017 SHO 225 oil drain torque

First post for longtime lurker. I have a 225 sho the first oil change I did I tightened my oil drain by hand till snug. This time I used a torque wrench and new factory washer and torqued to 20 ft lbs. my concern is after the bolt was finger tight I got a full 1/4-3/8 of a turn out of it and it either felt like I was crushing the washer or stripping the threads my wrench clicked around the 1/4 turn or so. Basically is this indeed a crush washer the Yamaha factory drain bolt “Gasket” it looks like an aluminum washer like I have seen before but I was told these washers don’t crush so just hand snug it.

20ftlbs
1/4 or a bit more turns after finger tight
New Yamaha drain plug gasket for motor

did I do this right or booger it

Never thought about it on any other thing I have changed oil on however reading horror stories of these plugs stripping gave me doubts lol

FWIW I plan on using an extractor from here on out

thanks

Keep removing and replacing the drain bolt and soon you won't have to be worrying about torque.

Leave the bolt alone and start using the vacuum pump to extract the oil. The oil can usually be removed in less time than it takes to remove the drain plug. A lot less mess.

Yeah I plan on pumping it out from here on out. I have changed oil on a bunch of stuff with aluminum pans but it sounds like these ones are really soft. I was just wanting to see if anyone else has used this spec before and ensure I didn’t already destroy the threads. I would imagine if they were gone my wrench wouldn’t have clicked. If this washer is indeed a crush washer like it looks like then I doubt any damage was done.

Is the mity vac the way to go for an extractor or will the cheaper electric pumps off amazon hold up for a while?

19.9 lb-ft is the torque value. Not a lot really.

The threads seem to strip not from an excessive once or twice overtightening event but rather from over time.

Back