Logo

2016 Suzuki 140

Charlie10661

Hey everyone i have a new to me motor that recently started giving me issues. I run the motor get up to operating temp and after it’s hot the motor will stall and not restart for -15 minutes. After I manage to get it restarted it will run fine at high rpm but as soon as you pull the throttle back it will stall again and not start until it cools down slightly any advice would be appreciated as this has me stumped

Hey everyone i have a new to me motor that recently started giving me issues. I run the motor get up to operating temp and after it’s hot the motor will stall and not restart for -15 minutes. After I manage to get it restarted it will run fine at high rpm but as soon as you pull the throttle back it will stall again and not start until it cools down slightly any advice would be appreciated as this has me stumped
The motor is a 2016 Suzuki 140

Does the motor or control box have a overheat buzzer? I'd start by replacing the impeller on the water pump. That's one of the first things I do when I pick up a "new to me" motor. I always replace spark plugs, water pump, lower unit oil and all filters. A cheap infrared thermometer would be a good tool to have to see exactly how hot the motor is running.

Does it stall like the key was shut off(electrical issue or does it sputter a bit before shutting down(fuel issue)? I assume no codes since you didn’t mention any?

Wiring issue? Have you checked the battery connections for tightness and clean? All contacts on the ignition and kill switch clean and tight? Pull apart all electrical connections looking for corrosion or loose wires. I hate intermittent electrical issues, if thats your problem. Other than checking the wiring for loose or corroded wires not sure what else I can suggest.

Worth a read, if your white wire isn’t supplying or getting cut off during running it would kill the engine.

Back