Logo

2016 Mercury 9.9 HP Ignition Wiring

kschroeder

Hello All,

I have purchased a 2016 Mercury 9.9 HP EL motor, this motor does not have the control arm and is electric start. I am going to be installing the motor on my sailboat so I did not want the standard Mercury control unit and wanted to go with a control unit made specifically for a sailboat. I also purchased an ignition switch (Sea Dog 420383-1) which is a Magneto Style three position ignition switch. I am trying to figure out how to wire the new ignition switch to the motor, however the motor does not seem to follow the same wire colors as any of the Mercury wiring diagrams that I have seen online.

Switch Wires:
Red - 12V
Black - Ground
Yellow/Red - Starter Solenoid
Black/Yellow - Magneto
Yellow/Black - Choke
Purple - Ignition

Boat Wires. These are the wires that are coming from the 6-pin Remote Control plug in the motor. From looking at the wire cover description this is what I have found:
Red - 12V (Regulator)
Black - Ground
Green - Starter Solenoid
Blue - Choke
White - CD Unit
Brown - CD Unit

The issue I have is the White and Brown wires on the motor. I can not find a wiring schematic that has white and brown wires coming from the remote control plug. The wiring cover says that these wires go to the CD Unit, but I have no idea where they go to after that or what they control in the CD Unit. I assume one of these goes to the Black/Yellow (magneto) and the other goes to Purple (Ignition). I am going to try to play around with a volt meter to see if that helps but I would prefer to see a wiring schematic and confirm that way.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone have a wiring schematic for this motor or knowledge on where these wire go?

Sir please when you get a answer share it with me because I’m having that same issue. Male wire harness from my remote shifter is color coded different from the female wire harness coming from the motor WTH!!! I know the yel/Red should plug in the solenoid but there’s no yel/Red on the other harness no blue , no gray??? My email: [email protected]

I finally had some time to run some tests on the motor and this is what I came up with. I am not sure if this is correct or not, so if anyone can see a mistake with what I have done please let me know. I apologize for the long post but it seems that wiring schematics and wiring color can be tough to find for these smaller motors. So, hopefully by explaining I might be able to help someone in the future.

Like I have mentioned in the first post, I have 6 wires going to a plug within the motor. I connected the motor to the battery and connected the red and black wires to the switch. With a multi-meter I checked resistance to both + and - on battery as well as voltage to both + and -. Blue and Green wires on the motor checked out, both being grounded with a low resistance to the - terminal and the switch going to 12V at proper times for choke and start solenoid. I connected those up.

This left me with the two I am having issues with, White and Brown on the motor. One is for magneto (kill switch) and the other is for ignition. Both of these wires were open resistance to both 12V and ground, meaning there are diodes or transistors in the circuits so there is no direct path to either of these points. After checking voltage I found that the white wire was grounded and the brown wire was floating. I checked the switch for the two left over wires and found that the Black/Yellow wire was grounded and Purple was floating. Both appeared to go to 12V after the switch was turned to the ON position.

I made the assumption that the floating wire on the motor would go to the grounded wire on the switch and the grounded wire on the motor would go to the floating wire on the switch. I have connected it all and put a spark plug tester on the plug and turned the motor over, I am able to see a spark on the plugs. Unfortunately, I am not able to start the motor for a few months to confirm it is correct. The last test I am going to try tonight is to turn the key off and try to pull start it to see if there is a spark. If the wiring is correct, the kill switch should not be engaged so there should not be a spark.

Final Result:

Switch --> Motor
Red --> Red (12V)
Black --> Black (Ground)
Yellow/Red --> Green (Start Solenoid)
Black/Yellow --> Brown (Magneto/Kill Switch)
Yellow/Black --> Blue (Choke)
Purple --> White (Ignition)

Again, if anyone sees a mistake I made please let me know.

Here is where the problem began: Mercury has superseded the harness that matched the same colors that came out from your remote control. The new harness has only solid color wires other than one wire that is brown with a blue stripe all other wires or solid colors. There is no red/yellow wire that is supposed to plug into your starter cylinder there is no blue and yellow black and yellow gray wire no longer exist on the plug harness that goes into your motor. 84-8524952A2 was the original harness now the new harness 84-859312T1 has a different wire color scheme. If you have access to the latest service manual 90–827857R1 will have a schematic on page 2D-2 that can help but you will have to trace it out because it has not been updated reflecting the new harness colors. And on pages 2D-5 & 2D-7 will have the Remote Control wiring diagrams.

Just be real careful what you connect the battery pos to it just takes a split second to get real expensive. Have you looked at the mercury color codes at mastertech marine?

Man I see that you got it figured out ~ found out on my motor that the kill switch itself is bad. No matter which position you have it in “run or off” it was still engaging “kill” thus killing spark. I have ordered a new switch (p/n# 87-91941A6)

Hello,

i have purchased a 2020 9.9 pro kicker mercury 4 stroke. Does anybody have the wiring Schematic for the remote control? We are not sure where the white and brown wires go to in a remote control. Do they both get how when the ignition is on?

Hello All,

I have purchased a 2016 Mercury 9.9 HP EL motor, this motor does not have the control arm and is electric start. I am going to be installing the motor on my sailboat so I did not want the standard Mercury control unit and wanted to go with a control unit made specifically for a sailboat. I also purchased an ignition switch (Sea Dog 420383-1) which is a Magneto Style three position ignition switch. I am trying to figure out how to wire the new ignition switch to the motor, however the motor does not seem to follow the same wire colors as any of the Mercury wiring diagrams that I have seen online.

Switch Wires:
Red - 12V
Black - Ground
Yellow/Red - Starter Solenoid
Black/Yellow - Magneto
Yellow/Black - Choke
Purple - Ignition

Boat Wires. These are the wires that are coming from the 6-pin Remote Control plug in the motor. From looking at the wire cover description this is what I have found:
Red - 12V (Regulator)
Black - Ground
Green - Starter Solenoid
Blue - Choke
White - CD Unit
Brown - CD Unit

The issue I have is the White and Brown wires on the motor. I can not find a wiring schematic that has white and brown wires coming from the remote control plug. The wiring cover says that these wires go to the CD Unit, but I have no idea where they go to after that or what they control in the CD Unit. I assume one of these goes to the Black/Yellow (magneto) and the other goes to Purple (Ignition). I am going to try to play around with a volt meter to see if that helps but I would prefer to see a wiring schematic and confirm that way.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone have a wiring schematic for this motor or knowledge on where these wire go?

I have a similar problem I was given a 2011 merc 9.9 prokicker 4 stroke for work I had done its remote unit with power tilt and the wires had just been cut apart from the harness by previous owner so I when I got the harness i wired it up color to color amd the tilt/trim works fine but when I turn the key it doesn't do anything also when I try and pull start it I get nothing the motor isn't locked up the transmission shift from forward to reverse and neutral fine so I know it's not in gear when I'm trying to start it it almost acts like the kill switch is engage all the time is there a way to bypass this t check it out or is it possible that the wires a crossed even though they are color to color

Back