Logo

2015 Honda twin BF50OD outboard throttle adjustment screw location

I recently replaced my throttle/shift cables and tested throttle on water. Both throttle handles when shifted into forward would not hold the position. Example: increased speed to 3000rpm and let handle go n it slowly reduced speed with handle moving back and would settle at 2200 rpm. I read that there is a trottle control adjustment screw but not sure where it is located.

Hi,
I don't know but I might have a look under one of those black plastic covers held by 4 screws.
Just a guess though.
Good luck.

I was wondering if the nuts on the cable ends has to also be repositioned? Shifts wonderful but could the nut be to tight n cable pulling when throttling up?

Yes, that's the cover I was referring to.

As far as experimenting with the cable nuts I don't know but why not? I don't have any experience with those "binnacle" type controls and really very little with any others to be honest.

Not sure if this link would help but just throwing it out there.
I don't see an "adjustment screw" listed.

Good luck.

Yes, that's the cover I was referring to.

As far as experimenting with the cable nuts I don't know but why not? I don't have any experience with those "binnacle" type controls and really very little with any others to be honest.

Not sure if this link would help but just throwing it out there.
I don't see an "adjustment screw" listed.

Good luck.
Thank you for your time and response.

No worries...
Just thought I would warn you that there is an adjustment screw on the throttle body but you don't want to be messing with that. It will only cause you misery if you do. Besides, it could never help with what you have going on there anyway.
You might just try snugging up the lever pivot retaining bolts and see if that helps.
I will look at the throttle cable linkage parts page to see if there's anything under the hood that you could "play".with.
But, it would be better if you had a shop manual or someone that's had this problem would chime in.
Good Luck.

No worries...
Just thought I would warn you that there is an adjustment screw on the throttle body but you don't want to be messing with that. It will only cause you misery if you do. Besides, it could never help with what you have going on there anyway.
You might just try snugging up the lever pivot retaining bolts and see if that helps.
I will look at the throttle cable linkage parts page to see if there's anything under the hood that you could "play".with.
But, it would be better if you had a shop manual or someone that's had this problem would chime in.
Good Luck.
Thank you! I’m leaning to removing throttle handle cover n trying to locate a friction adjustment screw. The second try will be figure out if I can adjust cable end nut that positions cable at both motor end and in throttle control box end! Not sure what is causing my throttle handles to slip towards neutral. Thank you for any recommendations your expertise can share! Aloha

Were the old shifters and cables the same? Have a look at them for comparison? Did the new cable instructions not cover this or maybe you could find instructions on line for the adjustment?

Yes same cables. Compared cable length, number and used nut placement in measurement of old one and tried to place nut at same mark. All instructions said was adjustments would have to be made but not how.

Thank you! I’m leaning to removing throttle handle cover n trying to locate a friction adjustment screw. The second try will be figure out if I can adjust cable end nut that positions cable at both motor end and in throttle control box end! Not sure what is causing my throttle handles to slip towards neutral. Thank you for any recommendations your expertise can share! Aloha
This sounds like a plan to me. I'm not familiar with these controls, but the Honda side mount controls all have a friction adjustment - designed to hold the throttle where you put it!

Kelseyville,
Did you ever look under one of those black covers that we discussed?
I've been looking into this and they ALL seem to have a friction adjustment screw and that would be located in that area as far as I can tell.

Ok, great!
One more idea for you....

I've been looking at the throttle lever and trying to make sense of why there is a "plate" with two screws with jam nuts located at the pivot point
.And, it appears that those items are located behind a "throttle button" ???
See items 10, 11, 30 and 37 in the link.

That throttle button doesn't look like a switch to me and there's no wires going to it. It also doesn't appear to be a type of lock out device.

I'm wondering if that "button" is just a cover for those screws, the jam nuts and the plate?
The jam nuts indicate adjustability to me so that makes me wonder if those plates are your friction devices for the levers????

Just another guess but something you might want to check out while you're at the boat.

Aloha.

I will remove black cover n see underneath. I also will check the pointer IMG_0759.jpegIMG_0761.jpegIMG_0760.jpegspots in photo to see if the two (looks like screws) are possibly the adjusting screws since both are aligned to affect the throttle. The 3rd zoomed pic looks like it’s a flathead screw. Maybe I’ll narrow it down before turning anything.

Well, you might be close there for sure.

Yes, some of the stuff I was seeing ònline, either written or on YouTube videos, indicated the adjustment screw was a slot headed screw in many cases.
The problem was I found info on Yamaha and Mercury units along with some aftermarket controls but only one about Honda and it was for a side mount. Completely different animal from a top control.

Wishing you luck.

It's hard for me to make out details in your photo but I have to say that those two "rod ends" you highlighted with the yellow arrow tips sure do remind me of the friction adjustment rod in my side control. So maybe you've got it!

Well, you might be close there for sure.

Yes, some of the stuff I was seeing ònline, either written or on YouTube videos, indicated the adjustment screw was a slot headed screw in many cases.
The problem was I found info on Yamaha and Mercury units along with some aftermarket controls but only one about Honda and it was for a side mount. Completely different animal from a top control.

Wishing you luck.
Thank you for boosting my confidence. I also sent an email to Honda marine to see if they can provide helpful information. Difficult when trying to save $$ from mechanics but not out of the question cause wanting a well maintained boat is always “safety first”.

Update: found the two friction adjustment screws. Took off cover plate and both throttle handle boxes had a flathead screw to adjust. The good part is that I can take it out on water n leave cover off to access screw while in gear! I forgot to take updated pic but will when I get to testing on water!

Well the adjustment screws did not solve the issue of throttle control. Throttle continues to drop back towatds neutral And cannot maintain throttle in fixed rpm position. My next plan is to try And adjust cable at Motor with the small but that seats position. On the attached picture which cable is for shifting And which one is for throttle?

Just move the lever, it will first move only the gear, then once that engages forward/reverse, the throttle lever moves.

I know this throttle movement happens while running, does it happen with outboards switched off?

I just did new shifter and throttle cables on my single 130, no issues at all when it went back together, maybe you’ve got something reversed at the shifters end? Or you have the wrong cables? When shopping for mine, there were 2 different travel lengths available for the aftermarket cables I bought. That is how far the inside cable extends on the in/ out cycle. The in/out cycle on my cables is about 3 inches, if yours was the same short one, maybe you have the longer one and the extra inside cable length is pushing the throttle back?
See how your old cable compares to your new cable when fully extended?

Back