Logo

2014 Mercury 115 Four Stroke Engine miss at higher RPM

Mike1953

I have a recurring intermittent problem with engine missing at higher RPM. Generally runs fine right up to WOT but every once in a while the engine seems to cutout with violent consequences to those not hanging on. As the engine catches itself it runs very rough like it is missing cylinders. Still runs rough when I lower RPM right down to min. throttle. Shut the engine off, wait a few moments and startup and everything is fine again. Changed plugs, fuel filter and fresh full tank of fuel, problem is still there. One dealer told me wrong prop but that makes no sense if it runs rough at low RPM. Another dealer could not find any problems but they are not on the water so did could not do a load test. Looking at possibly getting someone to make a house call.

Only about 250 hours. My first consideration was fuel or plugs issues but the fact that simply re-starting the engine makes the problem go away until next time leads me to believe it may be electrical. Possibly the engine timing goes off and needs a reset to 'find itself' again??

Anyone with similar problems? Any suggestions?

Back