Logo

2012 Mercury 60 HP 4 Stroke Bigfoot- 6 beeps when over 5000 RPMs

Hotwings

Hello all,
I’m reaching out to this forum because I’ve pretty much exhausted all my research and available resources that can help me with the issue I’m having with my Mercury Outboard engine. In a nutshell, when I power my engine over 4900 RPMs, I frequently hear the infamous 6 beeps from the guardian system. The engine doesn’t lose power or performance when this happens. This started late last year so I asked my Mercury service technician to see if they could fix it when I had it in for winterization. Evidently they couldn’t replicate the problem and they also hooked it up to the CDS machine where they found a reference to a “horn output fault” in the error log. The horn output fault isn’t even one of the possible error messages when the horn beeps 6 times. As you will see in the the link below , a “horn output fault” is not listed as one of the non critical issues. I’ve contacted two Local Mercury Marine service shops and even called Mercury Marine technical support but the only thing I was told to do was bring it into a Mercury Marine repair shop. Unfortunately both service shops are backed up because of Covid so they are unable to look at my boat at this time. I appreciate any help with this.
thanks in advance.

https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/ma...craft-and-guardian-system-warning-horn-alarms

Sounds like you are low on water volume, or flow through. Low volume would be water pump related usually and flow through could be foreign matter ingestion or high speed water flow popoff valve (if it has one) not opening.

Thanks much for the quick reply. The mercury mechanic did suggest that it could be a water pump. He figured that would be a best place to start given they couldn’t replicate the problem. He wanted to know if it was ever replaced before. Unfortunately I’m the third owner and I’m unable to reach back to the original owner to see if they ever had it replaced. The engine has about 116 hours on it and is only used in a fresh water lake.

Check mounting of ECM and grounds and just use it....puter will eventually store it .

thanks again. I will check the ECM and grounds and see what happens. The tech at Merc Marine was nice enough to send me a pic from the manual identifying where it is along with the other sensors. He advised that I be careful with the connectors and not break them.

Check mounting of ECM and grounds and just use it....puter will eventually store it .

so I checked the ECM and it appears to be mounted just fine....couldn’t move it. Not sure where the grounds were though but I did my best to check all connections. BTW, I went out on my boat last night and it did it again ☹️

Well it’s year three and the engine still beeps 6 times when I throttle it to 4000 RPMs +. The engine runs fine but those beeps are annoying. The water pump was replaced and the Mercury tech can’t seem to replicate the issue when he hooks it up to the computer. I just don’t get it as it happens to me all the time. I put 60+ hours on the engine last summer and it’s still running good with those annoying beeps! What next?

Some "horn" transducers are mounted in the remote control box and some mount in the cabling adjacent to the control box. I don't know if with 4 stroke engines if they mount it under the cowling or not. Anyway if you aren't afraid to be without it, find it and unplug it.

Well it’s year three and the engine still beeps 6 times when I throttle it to 4000 RPMs +. The engine runs fine but those beeps are annoying. The water pump was replaced and the Mercury tech can’t seem to replicate the issue when he hooks it up to the computer. I just don’t get it as it happens to me all the time. I put 60+ hours on the engine last summer and it’s still running good with those annoying beeps! What next?
Was there ever a solution to this? I am having the same exact issue with same motor

7/2023. Same issue mercury 60 2 years old 50 hours on it. Winterized 2 months ago. BUT…. I may have a clue. Boat is on a river with frequent debris. I just had to clean logs out under the dock prior to this happening. So…I’m thinking something got pulled into the water intake. Happens only at 50k rpm and the power starts to buck a bit if I continue over 50. Coincidentally, the horn fuse is blown. I wouldn’t think that has ANYTHiNG to do with it, but someone here did mention a horn fault so I thought. I’d mention it. I’ll replace horn fuse but expecting to need to pull the boat to service. Stay tuned.

Christine

Back