Logo

2012 Mercury 150hp: System Fault-Power Supply Voltage Low-Non Critical-#82

Mercury-150

I am getting 6 intermittent beeps upon turning the key to accessory mode to allow the engine to prime, along with an error message on the screen below the tachometer reading “STBD-System Fault-Power Supply Voltage Low-Non Critical” with the number “82” in the top right corner of the screen.

Despite the error, the engine fires up immediately with no signs of decreased battery voltage to the motor and idles smoothly.

However, I have found that when in high rpm ( >3700ish) and try to tilt the trim of the motor up, the motor will bog (not misfire), but this doesn’t not occur when tilting down (I’m assuming due to the increased electrical demand when going up)

All other boat electronics work perfectly, besides the concurrent use of the trim motor and the engine at high rpm.

This error has occurred an older battery that was in the boat previously, which has since been replaced, as the older battery was in fact having a trouble holding a charge. I have a perco switch installed and it is turned to “off” when the boat is not in use.

The alternator was replaced about 2 years ago, and onboard diagnostics show 14v at idle (I may need to recheck this while under power).

Most notably, this issue did not occur until after maintenance was done on the boat. Maintenance was done the week prior to the error code appearing. Maintenance included replacing engine oil, oil filter, new spark plugs, new water pump, replaced lower unit oil, and greased the grease points. The battery replacement mentioned above occurred 2 weeks after maintenance was done. I do not know if these changes would cause an error of this sort, but I’m keeping an open mind.

I tried looking in my service manual for the system fault listed above but there is no fault name that matches the one given and the number “82” given in the code does not match anything in the service manual or forums online.

The motor is a 2012 Mercury (sea pro) 150hp outboard motor with around 700 hrs of saltwater use. There is only 1 motor on the boat.

From the little I have been able to decipher, it appears it may be a shorted power sensor, a bad 3 wire sensor, or a bad ECM ( which i don’t think it is because the motor runs perfect, except when trimming up)

I will continue to trouble shoot tomorrow to see if there are any simple solutions like corrosion on a ground wire, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to trouble shoot first or know what could have failed/corroded/ or came loose?

Back