Logo

2012 90hp efi 4stroke stalling, long beep, lift pump not refilling........

lakai11

first, just like me say that ive been researching this issue for months now. i have a 2012 (i think) mercury 90hp EFI 4 stroke serial#B1953144. so ive had stalling issues after about 30 minuets of run time, but sometimes it will run a full crabbing trip of 8 hours (rare). i bought the boat summer 2020, it ran great for the test drive and 4 trips after.so far i have replaced the lift pump, float, spark plugs, impeller due to failure, inline filters, water separator, fuel line due to internal damage (that left me stranded haha). as of right now i have the FSM apart and in a clear bucket and it has flow (enough flow?? not sure) . i reassembled the FSM filled with fuel, the motor runs for 15 minuets and then gets a long beep. after about another 15-25 minuets the engine sputters and stalls out. i removed the FSM again and found that the fuel level was low, well below the float switch. if i turn the key on and off to let the pump prime it will do that same sequence again. . coolant temp is at 130-140, i installed a gauge because i wanted to make sure it wasn't over heating..

i tried avoiding making a post about this. i took it to a shop at the start of all this and they diagnosed it as the lift pump. replaced it and the problem still exist. i work on cars for a living so taking this thing into a shop was a tail tucking moment for me. at this point id really like to know what code its throwing and if anyone has any past experience with this same type of issue???

Stalling how?

It will start misfiring, sputtering, engine shake, no acceleration (hoping that accel would bring it back), then just shuts off like there is either no spark or fuel. I did end up buying the “vessel view mobile” because I give up hope on the local shop. The code is 3075-28- lift pump time out. I bit the bullet and ordered another lift pump, turns out the one installed was aftermarket. I’m going to install it this Sunday and check everything out. I’ll let y’all know if this fixes it.

It will start misfiring, sputtering, engine shake, no acceleration (hoping that accel would bring it back), then just shuts off like there is either no spark or fuel. I did end up buying the “vessel view mobile” because I give up hope on the local shop. The code is 3075-28- lift pump time out. I bit the bullet and ordered another lift pump, turns out the one installed was aftermarket. I’m going to install it this Sunday and check everything out. I’ll let y’all know if this fixes it.

It took longer than expected to get the new pump but it turns out that was the issue. DONT TRUST AFTERMARKET PUMPS. the aftermarket pump wasn’t strong enough to pull fuel through the filters. Also, thanks to vessel view for being a cheap way to get fault codes.

Back