Logo

2011 F90TLR Trim Not Working?

radjxf

I've got a 2011 G3 16' aluminum boat with a Yamaha F90TLR engine. Bought the boat last summer and put it away in my shop. Noticed last fall that when the temp was above say 40-50* the tilt/trim would work fine. Now that it's below freezing (about 7 mos out of the year in MT!) it will not move.

The relay makes a loud "clicking" sound when using the switch at the front and also the switch on the motor, but it doesn't move.

What I've checked so far:

When you turn that "screw" out that lets the pressure off the hydraulic cylinder, the motor smoothly goes up and down. However, when it's screwed all the way IN, the motor still freely falls down, is that typical??

I made heavy-gauge jumper wires to go from the battery ground to the unattached ground wire (black) off the relay and also from the positive on the battery to the blue "up" wire----nothing. Also tried the same with the down (green wire)---nothing. I also tried grounding to various bolts on the motor---still nothing.

Checked the ground wire off the electric tilt/trim motor---wire in good shape with good clean connections.

Bought a new relay off Ebay, swapped them out---still won't work.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated!

I tried to check it with a borrowed multi-meter (that I'm not 100% sure how to use) and the numbers kept fluctuationg from about 13.5 volts to 18. It has enough juice to easily crank the motor, etc.

I also made some jumper wires, and ran the postive to the blue and negative terminal to the green wires taken off the relay. I think this should raise the motor. Doesn't work. Also tried negative to blue and positive to green to lower, nothing happens.

Wonder if the electric motor just suddenly died? Previously it would work when warm out, but when below 40 or so it won't work. Won't be above 40* here till probably May (gotta love Montana).

Lastly, I thought with the hydraulic bypass screw all the way in, the motor would stay up (like a floor jack). But, it easily just falls back down.

Last edited:
Also if something had enough water in it to freeze, I'd think that I wouldn't be able to raise and lower it smoothly with the bypass screw open?

Back