Logo

2010 Honda BF90 O2 sensor issues....another thread

coastalcapt

Hey everyone, I will keep it as concise as possible in hopes of some help. I know Honda's have had their fair share of O2 sensor issues, particularly with the 225. Searching the forum I have found a few different threads as it pertains to the BF90, all describing the same issue I am having but there has yet to be a posted solution so I was hoping this might reignite the forum for an unshared solution or shed some new light some how.

I have twin 2010 BF90's, both with over 2900 hours, on a survey/work boat. About a month ago, after a long day of work, idling at the dock while waiting to load on the trailer, the alarm went off on the port motor. Used the scan tool and it showed a failed 02 sensor. Ordered a new one, replaced, cleared the code. Ran it at idle on the earmuffs for about 15 min, no fault code. Went out on a job and again, at the end of the day, idling while waiting to load, it faulted.

I really doubt I replaced the sensor with another bad one, particularly after reading this post where it was changed 4 times and still did not solve the issue. I did see in that thread that one user, drboat, suggested you have to change the ECM in addition to the sensor as the new sensor is not recognized by the ECM. I somehow find that hard to believe, nor can I find anything from Honda saying so. The ECM is about $800 at boats.net, really don't want to throw that part at it to see if it fixes it but would be glad to if that is the true fix.

Anyways, I hope someone can possibly shed some light on this one for me, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!!

To answer some potential questions:
  • I replaced all fuel filters, both low pressure ones and the high pressure.
  • Plugs were replaced at 2649 hours, so I supposed I could do those 100 hours early and see if that helps.
  • Has had maintenance performed at proper service intervals

Back