Logo

2010 F75 Low RPM

AJ Green

Hi all, I am new to the Message Boards and would SO appreciate any feedback and perspectives on the above motor.

I am the second owner and the motor had only 80 hrs on it when I bought it. I had an inspection done on it now 3 years ago and it came back CLEAN. Since, I have put on hundreds of hours of running time and have had factory recommended services all along the way.
Last fall, I started noticing it wasn't running at its usual 5500 rpm on full throttle and dips down to around 5000 tops. This makes a 5 mph difference on top ends speed. So, I installed new factory spark plugs. Since then and into this year, it has intermittently gone up to 5500, but over the course of the last 10 uses, it won't go beyond 5000 rpm full throttle. In fact, sometimes if I slightly back off the throttle, I can get it up to 5200 rpm. I had it at an authorized Yamaha mechanic for some work on the lower unit that was occasionally making a squealing noise (bushing and greasing needed) that seems unrelated. They stated the throttle cable was working properly and they did a partial tune up with new filters. They recommended refilling the tank with 91 non-oxygenated, so I did and ran it for hours yesterday and it made no difference. I have checked all mechanical connections and hoses as well as the throttle levers and it seems to be at full capacity who cranked. Also, it revs no problem in neutral. The shop guy says this can be normal when it is hot/humid with warm water temps, but this motor ran fine in the summer in years past.
Historically, I use 87 octane and always use Yamaha Ring Free and fuel stabilizer.
I really want this fixed but don't want to pay a bunch of exploratory money getting it diagnosed and "fixed" again.
Any ideas would be super helpful.

-Adam in MPLS

Back