Logo

2008 150hp Unusual problem with new water pump

88maverick

2008 Etec 150 hp with nearly 800 hrs. New dealer installed water pump/thermostat. BTW-- best motor I've ever owned.

After arriving at the fishing grounds (15-mile trip), if I let the motor idle (tach shows 500 rpms, water pressure gauge about 10 pounds) for about 15 seconds, the water pressure gauge will oscillate for about a couple seconds and then go directly to 0 pounds pressure and the engine temp gauge will (obviously) immediately climb. At first I thought this was a bit of grass or something blocking the water intake, but it was clear. If I increased the idle to only about 650 rpms, the water pressure rises to about 12 pounds psi and the temp stays cool.

For the past week, this same things has happened the same way. If the engine is cold, this does not happen. I'm stumped and apparently so is the mechanic. I suspect some sort of improper installation of the water pump, but need advice. HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Re: Unusual problem with new water pump

Check that the thermostats have the bleed-holes open.
At that low idle, even worse if a 25"leg, and bleed holes closed, the pump may start to cavitate.
Did he change the rubber seal between leg and lower housing at the same time?
Any exhaust leakages to the pump might give the same result.

Thanks, haffiman. I printed your post and will take it to the dealer to ask those questions. Much appreciated.

Funny stuff, I agree shade tree mechanic. But just because your not factory trained doesn't always mean shade tree. Because there are a lot of factory trained dealer shade tree mechanics out there.

"Shade Tree" to me means somebody that has never been to any factory service schools or any tech schools at all. Then they start to work on the product and all of a sudden they know anything and everything there ever was to know about the product.

Back