Logo

2007 Mercury Warning System Help Needed

arniep

I have a 2007 Mercury, 2-stroke, 50 HP, ELPTO motor. The warning horn sometimes sounds at a low level when the key is on and continues when the motor is running. When I ground the temperature sensor, it goes off like it is supposed to. Sometimes, the alarm does not start when the key is switched on. Then it sounds like it should when I ground the sensor wire. The horn then remains on at a low level.

One mechanic told me my warning control module was bad and he pointed to the rev limiter. After looking at the wiring diagram, I don't see that the rev limiter has anything to do with the alarm system. Another parts person told me the alarm system worked through the three CDM's. And, Mercury service told me it was in my remote. I know the horn is in my remote, but is there anything between the sensors and the remote?

Will someone help me with this? Any reason my alarm intermittently sounds at a low level? If it is the warning system control module where is it?

The oil level switch responds like the temp sensor. Disconnect no change. Ground it and the alarm horns increases in volume like it is supposed to sound.

Is there anything between the sensors and the horn? I keep being told that there is an alarm module. It appears to me that it is a simple circuit...oil level sensor, temp sensor, and horn. One of the sensors switches closed and the ground completes the circuit to blow the horn. Is there a module?

I've done that and there is no item that I can find that comes close to that description, so it should be a done deal, right? One mechanic who has my boat right now and hasn't started on it, says the rev limiter is the module. The other mechanic that looked at it said the warning signal went through the CDM's. They're smart and I am dumb! That's the reason I am pressing so hard to find someone to tell me the warning system consists of the two sensors and the horn, and nothing else.

Your warning horn wiring system does not go through either the rev limiter or CDM's. It's wired sensor to horn.

Order a mercury service manual to your engine. Mercury part number 91-852572R02. Check ebay for a good price on the manual.

If you have a continuous faint alarm with both sensors disconnected, then you may have a little electrical leakage between the alarm wiring and ground. This could be an internally shorted horn, shorted Tan/Blue wire, Bad/Corroded wire connector/pin connector either on engine or warning horn side, possibly something touching the horn system inside the remote housing, power or ground backfeeding into horn, Low on battery volts, Etc, Etc.

Start with carefully wiggling around all wires at both ends and in between, pull wire connectors apart checking wire pins etc. Check for proper voltage.

Warning horn part number, 816492A 1, http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...3.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=816492A+1&_sacat=0

You may want to think about installing a
17334A 2
VISUAL WARNING SYSTEM, Low Oil/Overheat ,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...3.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=17334A+2+&_sacat=0

Good luck.:)

Back