Logo

2007 BF225 Propellor Shaft Removal to inspect Dog Clutch

AlphaBob

[FONT=&quot]Trying to remove the Propeller Shaft Assembly to inspect the dog clutch and related gears. I was able to loosen the Propeller Shaft Holder and move it backward approximately 1-1/2” but, it will not come out any further. Related, when I tap on the Propeller Shaft Holder, the shift rod protruding up from the front of the lower unit moves as though it’s hung up on something on the forward end of the Propellor Shaft.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]From my experience working on other Honda outboards, once the Propeller Shaft Holder is unbolted and loosened, the entire assembly just pulls out. Am I missing something?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here’s a picture of the Propellor Shaft Holder unbolted, loosened, and pulled back as far as it goes. At this point, additional pulling / tapping causes the short vertical shift rod to wiggle as though something is hung up at the front of the propellor shaft. I’ve got a video of this wiggling posted on rumble:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]https://rumble.com/vl2dff-2007-honda-bf225-propellor-shaft.html[/FONT]

Attachments

• IMG_9038.jpeg
    IMG_9038.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 26
The shop manual for my 225s (2003s) says put the lower unit in neutral, pry out the hard rubber shift shaft seal, pull out the short shift shaft, THEN pull the prop shaft

I haven't done a 225 propshaft holder either but agree with baytro23....the shop manual indicates that you need to remove the shift shaft first. It's literally step 1 of the procedure.

Good luck.

Back