Logo

2006 Yamaha F115 lower pin on PTT unit won't budge.

sudiki

Any ideas on getting the lower pin on the PTT unit out? The top one with the C clip pushed out using just my finger but the lower one won't budge. I tried driving it out with a wood dowel and hammer but no luck either. I then put penetrating oil on both outside and inside areas (as best i could) and let it sit overnight. Still won't budge!

it was a big hammer. actually a small sledge. and I also tried using a deep socket and a socket extension bar. I'm not sure how an impact gun would work. not trying to turn anything like a bolt or nut. it's just a steel shaft that needs to be pushed out. I'm thinking I might have to heat it up to expand it a little except that will ruin the bushings.

Salt water motor ?-----Heat will expand the aluminum at twice the rate of steel.----Thus the casting might lose it grip on the pin.

Salt water motor ?-----Heat will expand the aluminum at twice the rate of steel.----Thus the casting might lose it grip on the pin.
yes it was in salt water for a summer (or 2) before dad stopped using it and pulled it from the slip. I managed to get it out yesterday. I figured it was going to come out one way or the other so I got a bigger sledge, put the socket extension in vicegrips to hold it and went for it. after about 4 really good whacks it moved a miniscule bit so I gave it another shot of penetrating oil. It moved a tiny bit again then after the 4th tiny movement it drove right on out. I had made some supports out of old 2x4's to hold the unit's weight up so as not to "pinch" on the pin as I didn't have anyone to hold the unit up for me. My socket extension is toast now though. :):cry:

so anyone know how I can get all the rams down? I pushed the Tilt ram down but as it went down the 2 trim rams came out. Now I have the tilt ram down but the trim ones are out. I don't want to ship it with them extended in case the shippers manhandle the box and the extended rams get bent....I tied the tilt one down so it couldn't extend but I am unable to push the 2 trim ones back down. I even took off the reservoir cap and opened the manual release valve.

so anyone know how I can get all the rams down? I pushed the Tilt ram down but as it went down the 2 trim rams came out. Now I have the tilt ram down but the trim ones are out. I don't want to ship it with them extended in case the shippers manhandle the box and the extended rams get bent....I tied the tilt one down so it couldn't extend but I am unable to push the 2 trim ones back down. I even took off the reservoir cap and opened the manual release valve.
never mind. I got them all down by loosening the manual release screw, opening the filler cap and pushing them down. don't know why they would't go down on my last try.....

Back