Logo

2006 Honda 20HP with only 10hrs on it. Is that a bad thing?

TheAssels

So I'm finally looking to buy my first boat as an adult since spending my childhood on the lake. Looking at picking up a 20HP and a 12-14ft inflatable.

Been looking at used outboards since new ones are pretty pricey. I came across this one for a good price and a couple hours away. Only thing is that the seller claims it only has 10hrs on it. I know with cars and motorcycles it's bad to have an engine sit that much without running very often. It also seems like it's sat in the sun since the gear shift and kill-chord seem super faded.

Is this something to steer clear of? Or is it worth a visit to see how it's running?

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/NlP0ao5

From where I'm sitting, it would depend on how well it runs - regardless of how many hours are claimed to be on it. Realize it's tough to wear one of these motors out. If well maintained, they'll go thousands of hours....

I agree with Alan. The only problems a "low hour" BFD20 Honda could develop would be a deteriorated water pump impeller and bad gas left in the fuel lines and carburetor. If it does start and run then that eliminates the bad gas worry.

The engine oil should be topped up and you should run it and ensure that the green oil pressure light illuminates.

If it pumps water out of the tell tale then that is good but you should really replace the pump impeller anyway as a form of "cheap insurance". A rubber impeller that is 15 years old is not going to be near as flexible and "supple" as it once was. That could cause you problems.

Another area that you will be interested in is the gear case. If it has clean gear oil and is full then that might be the ONLY indicator that you have that the 10 hour story is accurate. Even hour meters don't always tell the truth.

I only saw the one photo because I didn't want to download the app. That outboard looks like a long shaft and might not be the ideal pairing for an inflatable boat. You would likely want a short shaft for that.

The BFD20 Honda is one of the best, most reliable, rugged and easy to maintain and operate twin outboards ever made. I have worked on many of them and I own a 2006 myself.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Oh boy. Servicing a motor like that (or ANY "new to you" motor for that matter), from top to bottom (including the water pump!) is something I would do automatically. Oil change (top and bottom!) would be the first thing to happen when it came home. Stuff like that should always be done on a regular basis, and on a motor that hasn't been run (or run regularly) you have no idea how long the oil has been in there.

Because the tell tale is squirting water does not mean the impeller is in good shape either.....

I only saw the one photo because I didn't want to download the app. That outboard looks like a long shaft and might not be the ideal pairing for an inflatable boat. You would likely want a short shaft for that.

Good luck.

Yup, listing says long shaft. Don't know how I missed that... I guess I saw the price and got all excited haha. There is a 15 HP one I found as well. Might take a look at that one but I might hold out for a 20.

Thanks for the replies! Good info regardless!!!

If you do end up buying a Honda just be aware that they won't tolerate bad or old gas.

Honda put a drain screw on the carb bowl and using it as intended is a MUST when the outboard won't be run for a period of time. Not letting fuel sit in that carburetor is a first line defense against problems.

Many people just run the engine with the gas can unhooked until she quits. But I ALSO recommend opening the carb drain just as a precaution.

Other than that, a new water pump assembly every two or three seasons, regular oil and filter changes and.new NGK spark plugs every year or two....and don't hit rocks or wrecks....that baby should last for DECADES to come!

Good luck with your "new' boat!

Back