Logo

2006 9.9 4 stroke flooding

eric80

Regular Contributor
my 2006 9.9 4 stoke Merc manuel start doesn't like to start and I suspect it's flooding.

I can smell gas, the plugs are wet enough that I get gas on the rag when I wipe them, and when I light a match the lower cylinder burns for some time I.e. over a minute

Any suggestions on what can do and or where I can get a diagram to figure out what screws I need to fiddle with to fix the problem?

It started fine earlier tonight when my gas tank was virtually empty but soon as I put gas in the tank I started getting the flooding problem
Cheers
ERic

Hi, so just so you have all the info
Last winter I placed it wrong side up and oil ran out
I flipped it right side up, shot in some carb cleaner, pulled a few times and it started.
spued a bit of smoke then ran fine.

now it's flooding.
any ideas

Swag: Something wrong with the needle valve in the carb and or the float. Moving the float to about parallel with the top of the carb casting mating flange usually will cause the needle valve to shut off fuel to the carb. Put some pressure on the fuel system with the squeeze bulb and see if you can move the float to that position with your finger and close the valve. If not, check it out. The sealing cone of the valve has to be perfectly conical. No dents, chips, deformations, foreign material and all.

Mark

thanks Mark
any carb diagrams or utube videos that you know of?

Probably but I would have to look for them as you would.

The carb is straight forward.

The bowl comes off with obvious screws.

With the carb upside down, the top of the float (nearest the upper casting mating flange) is usually parallel with that flange.

There is a pin holding the float in place that just slides out. There is a tab close to the pin which is used (bent) to set the float height.

With the pin out and float removed, inverting the carb will/should allow the needle valve to fall out. Some carbs have a little wire connected to the end of the needle valve which will pull it out when the float is removed.

HTH,
Mark

Hey Mark
now that the engine run it won't idle unless I have the throttle on.
any suggestions?

Low speed adjustment out of adjustment, or crud in carb. Low speed is the only adjustment on today's carbs. Usually on the Port (left) side of the carb, brass screw with a SS spring under it. Very very gently close it, cw and then open back up, ccw 1 1/2 turn to start. Moving about that setting 1/2 turn max should fix it. Otherwise you have some crud in your carb and need to clean it out. Berryman's chem tool is good for a disassembled carb cleaning and Sea Foam works good for a chemical cleaning without tearing things apart.

Mark

Back