Logo

2006 5.7 OSI-E Volvo Penta is hard to start after running to temperature.

Kajun55

My engine is hard to start after running for awhile. I can get it started if the throttle is WO and keep it above 1000 RPM for about 40 seconds. If I bring the throttle back to soon it dies. I have replaced plugs, coil, fuel lines and filter, and IACV. No help. Anyone had a similar issue I would appreciate any and all information. It is getting very expensive changing parts. I can't find a mechanic in the Melbourne, Fl. area with a diagnostic unit to check for fault codes. The temperature stay at approximately 170 and the thermostats were also replaced. I top the tanks off after each trip and there isn't any issue once it is running regarding performance.

Any luck with your problem yet? Based on your indications it seems like the engine is fuel starved. There are 4 sensors in that loop, Cam Position Sensor (located on the bottom of the engine) Crank Position Sensor, IAC (on the carb) and of course the fuel pump. I would start with verify the Fuel pump output pressure (fuel rack presta valve) you can get a cheap pressure tester from Amazon. Then start looking at the sensors, the connectors on the Crank Position Sensor are known corrosion problem areas (bottom of engine, in the bilge) The Crank position sensor (in the distributor) is likely next area along with the IAC and Fuel pressure regulator. Sorry for the long list, but without the code reader, it is a little easter egg hunt

Any luck with your problem yet? Based on your indications it seems like the engine is fuel starved. There are 4 sensors in that loop, Cam Position Sensor (located on the bottom of the engine) Crank Position Sensor, IAC (on the carb) and of course the fuel pump. I would start with verify the Fuel pump output pressure (fuel rack presta valve) you can get a cheap pressure tester from Amazon. Then start looking at the sensors, the connectors on the Crank Position Sensor are known corrosion problem areas (bottom of engine, in the bilge) The Crank position sensor (in the distributor) is likely next area along with the IAC and Fuel pressure regulator. Sorry for the long list, but without the code reader, it is a little easter egg hunt

Rick,

The symptom appears to be a flooded engine. If I move the throttle to the WO position it will start. I’ve checked the fuel pressure several times, however not after running it in the water. My next steps are checking it on the water with the no start condition. I’ll be looking for proper pressure and holding the pressure. Suspect an injector possibly staying open once it’s hot. I’m going to replace the plugs also.

Back