Logo

2006 40hp mercury efi blowing 15a fuse

MwrEngineRepair

Every time I bring the key to the start position the 15a fuse blows. I have taken apart my throttle control and unhooked every wire and it continues. 15a fuse is the main relay/ accessory. Only happens when I try to start

Replace the diode (for spikes on key deactivation) it blows if battery polarity is reversed. It will blow the 15 amp fuse every time. mercury part number 84-883834a1
It sits behind / near the ECU unit and has brown wire and yellow/red stripe.

I had a 2014 40hp 4 months ago , that kept blowing 25 amp fuse, rec/reg red wire was shorted to ground in the box. The supression diode is supposed to protect in case of wrong batt. hook up as said by mykc.

Replace the diode (for spikes on key deactivation) it blows if battery polarity is reversed. It will blow the 15 amp fuse every time. mercury part number 84-883834a1 It sits behind / near the ECU unit and has brown wire and yellow/red stripe.

I have a Mercury 50hp EFI and managed to reverse the battery with excact this same syptoms. When i removed the harness talked about in this thread the fuse do not blow. The harness is labelled:
MERCURY MARINE PLANT 22
cable asy-diode adaptor
84-883834A1 08-17-2007

When i test this with a multimeter with diode test it shows 0V both ways (ie alternating the multimeter cables - red to yellow/red, black to black and then black to yellow/red and red to black) So the diode must be damaged. This harness goes for like $60 wich I find to be a little pricey for what is basically one diode.

The diode is labellled
GP15M-006

And maybe its this one:
https://www.vishay.com/docs/88638/gp15a.pdf

I will try to sort this out, but if anyone else has got it right it would be good to know alternative diodes.

Back