Logo

2006 40 EFI (3 CYL) (4-Stroke)

blainedead

One of the Fire Departments that I work for has a 2006 40 EFI 4-Stroke (1C006772) on a rescue boat. Engine runs well, for as long as you want to run it. After being shut down for some time (anywhere from 15-60 minutes, according to reports), the engine will not restart. After several hours....wash, rinse, repeat...same story. My problem is that I have never been able to duplicate the problem in my presence, and the Fire Chief is growing weary of hearing me say that "I can't fix it if it ain't broke"! :cool:

What I can tell you: when it's running, it runs fine, compression is good, spark is good (at least it is when I'm looking), and fuel pressure is 44psi running and drops to around 41 where it holds long enough for me not to be concerned with a sticking injector. It has been run with a known good fuel tank and hose assembly with same results, eliminating the boats existing tank.

There are no faults recorded (yes, I have diag software), and auto self-tests pass without issue.

Initially the engine would just crank, never fire. However, last trip out, one of the guys said that every time he dc'ed the fuel line it would fire...wouldn't run but it would fire one time. That pushes me to think of a fuel issue...perhaps something in the VST.

Any suggestions of what I may be looking for? I'd rather the darn thing just go ahead and break than tease me.

Back