Logo

2005 Yamaha F115 charging problem.

jdholt41

My F115TLRD charging system failed. I removed the Voltage Rectifier/Regulator (VRR) and noticed a spot on the back of it that indicated that it had overheated.
The ground terminal on the plug was burned - melted plastic and blackened terminal. I did a stationary test on the stator and the diodes. The three legs of the stator showed no open circuits and the diodes also checked out. I also checked the ground terminal to engine ground and it also appeared to be good. I replaced the VRR and ran the engine for a few seconds, Still not charging. I checked the VRR plug and noticed that it had burned the ground terminal again.
I then did a dynamic test (engine running) on the stator. All three legs were producing 19-20 VAC as specified.
I am stumped. Help would be appreciated.

A burned connection to me indicates poor connectivity at the terminal junction point. High resistance resulting in high temperatures.

At a loss to understand how a new connector to a new R/R can be defective. Hopefully an OEM style new connector was used.

How are the connections from the positive wire from the R/R through the fuses and on to the battery?

Answered my own question. My stator was showing ac voltage as yours. I didn't check the diodes, I chanced the rectifier. The plug connector was clean, just tight as it's original (also 2005). On fire up I'm back to normal charging at 14.2-6V.

As you've checked grd and visible connections, hoping its not something in the harness. The good part of this its just a 115. Hope you get your issues solved - rt

Thank you all for responding. I found a VERY loose ground stud that had three ground wires coming to it. One was from the
ground wire from the VRR. That is almost certainly the cause of the problem. Thank you Boscoe.

Back